Wednesday 23 January 2013

Learning to control my thoughts

Written in early December 2012

Sometimes I sit here with so many thoughts and I don't know what to do with them all.
Housework I need to do, looking after my kids, packing for going away, mainly music next year, things I'd like to write, Thomas at kinder next year, appointments I have or need to make, folding I need to do, lists I need to make.
My mind feels so full.
I feel a bit suffocated.
I feel so out of my depth with all the shoulds and must dos and what ifs and when this happens I'll be happy, etc...
Where do I take it all?
What do I do with it all?
What really matters out of it all?
Worry and anxiety has begun to define me, and so I am on a journey of defining it, so I can eliminate it.
When I'm worried, I ask myself, can I do anything about it?
If not, I distract from it using shutting off techniques (word games, doing something relaxing, etc...)
If I can, I make a note of what I can do (if it can't be done right away)
If its something I can do right away, I do it.
Learning to identify and resolve the uncomfortable feelings and energy is helping me to minimise anxiety.
To realise that I can control my thoughts and behaviours in response to situations has been freeing and is starting to change the way I see all of life and respond to all of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment